Saturday, October 3, 2009

What if Turning Japanese isn't so bad?

I think I'm becoming addicted to Tokyo Flash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilwheaton/2922176552/
At first it was just the watches, and it was fine.  It was fine because I had built up an immunity through years of Swatchs from the 1980's.  You think Wil was styling in his three watches?  I had FIVE.  FIVE swatch watches, and only ONE of them told the right time at any given time.  And there was no ankle wearing for me... no sir.  Three on one arm and two on the other

Incidentally, am I the only person here who thinks he might have had a thing for Batman? I'm not judging, I'm just a little overwhelmed at the amount of merchandise... it makes the comic-book geek in me swoon a little.

Anywho, Tokyo Flash beats out the swatch in two important areas: first (and foremost) it's Japanese, which makes it infinately better in my book.  Second, they're insanely difficult to read.  I mean, you have to dedicate a full fifth of your brain just to tell time if you buy some of these things.  And I LOVE that.  It's part of the coolness factor... just imagine it...


"excuse me miss, what time is it?"
[holds out hand with the "galaxy" on her wrist]
"um.... oh...."
"what's wrong? can't you see that it's 10:38?"
"ah, yes, of course, I can see that."
"really?"
"no."

and that alone is worth the price of a Tokyo Flash.  Not to say that I have one... yet... but this is one of the arguments I plan on using to get such a watch for Christmas, or maybe my birthday.

But now, now, Tokyo Flash has other stuff, too.  There's stuff like hats, and jewelry, and clothing, and... and it's getting harder and harder to keep that Visa (with iTunes bonus points!) in my wallet, let me tell you.   I'm particularly in love with the bags and the hats at the moment. I know I don't wear hats to work, but a Matsuri Flat Cap would be awesome.  All I need now is a convertable to wear it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment